f the butterfly collector: A Flashback to Childhood...Fashon, Paper and Star Dolls

the butterfly collector

A Collection of Fashionable Finds,Jewel Box Treasures,Exotic Art and Decadent Decor! Handmade Delights, Luxurious Shopping, Wonders from the China Cabinet and Secrets from behind the Wardrobe Door, Dramatic Books and Delicious Treats!. Read on to find out more...

Thursday, August 10, 2006

A Flashback to Childhood...Fashon, Paper and Star Dolls



...here's something fun today! I was reading the thriftcraft blog last week and posted there was a most loved and favorite toy from my childhood... fashion plates! I loved this toy and played with it constantly as a girl! You place the plastic plates in a frame with paper and rub over them with pencils to create a picture and then use the backs of the plates to create pattern all over your lovely outfit and model! I actually still have the whole set and sometimes still use it to make rubbings from the plates on papers for my collages. It seems a lot of others out there loved it too as the post I read got a huge response in the comments box. (There seems to be a few postings on ebay if you desperately want one after reading this! )
I also had a thing for paper doll kits and was searching around on the web to see if there was any about and found STARDOLL, a great toy for big and little girls alike! You can dress your favorite star ( boys and girls...I dressed Audrey Tatou and Johnny Depp), send a model down the catwalk in a designer outfit, make a ME doll, play games, make a doll album and meet friends and its free!

Things have changed in toy land since I was little, I'm shocked no one has reinvented fashion plates yet!!! We are looking for a most excellent present for Drew's birthday and Christmas at the moment, I wonder what toys he will fondly remember from his childhood?
And if your looking for an actual gorgeous paper doll kit, look no further it's here!!!!

4 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger Anastasia said...

How funny is that!!! I had a set of Mattel's Fashion Plates too - got it for a Christmas present when i was about 10! my favourite toy for years!!!
i found one on Ebay about 2years ago and it went for US$35.00!!! crazy!!!
i love paper dolls too!!

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Dana said...

OK, I know I had my fashion plates flashback a few weeks ago but now you have shown me a picture of the very set I used as a child I am reeling in sentimental delight! I'm so glad you still have them. Did you see my Beatrix Potter Fuzzy Felt I got on ebay?!

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Violet & Rose said...

OMG!!!! My sister had a set of these and I was SO jealous. I loved them. From memory, Mum got them for her because my cousin had them and we couldn't put them down. The patterns on the back that you rubbed over were great. My favourite was a little floral pattern. Thanks for the flashback!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger thebutterflycollector said...

Yes, I saw your fuzzy felts, I love dplaying with thm when I was little too! I was thinking about making one for Andrew, unless I can find one, it must have a BUS, though you know!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home